Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Working from Home

I wake up in the morning, and stumble from bed, straight to my computer. I can hardly open my eyes, but I can feel those little bumps on the keyboard and am able to put in my passwords, and I "punch" my 21st century time clock with a click. Then I put on my headphones, open up the transcription program, and by the time my eyes have adjusted to the light, I am typing my first medical report of the morning. Invariably, by the time an hour goes by, my youngest is up. I stop working for a minute, get him some breakfast, and then back at work for a total of 2 hours. Every morning, Monday through Friday. Then just after the younger ones are heading to bed at 9 pm, I am back at work for another 2-1/2 hours. I never imagined I would be doing this at this point in my life. This is not an exciting job. It is not creative. It is not even a well-paid position. But it fits the bill. I get to work in my robe and slippers. I save on gas, and there is no commute to endure. I am here for the children when they need me. I know I am not climbing any corporate ladder, and I am definitely not creating any masterpieces. But I am contributing to the family coffers, and I get to flex my mental muscle a little every morning. I took my transcription course through CareerStep http://careerstep.com, but I did it through Everett Community College's online class: http://www.everettcc.edu/medtrans . It was a good way to go.

No comments: